A lot of old irrigation systems are inefficient, costly to run, and even more costly to maintain. If you’ve ever come home while it’s raining to find your sprinklers running… you’ve seen the waste an inefficient irrigation system can cause.
Fortunately, with new, smart landscape technology coming out every year, having a healthy and lush landscape is easier and more economical than ever.
Today’s irrigation systems offer immediate water savings, often paying for themselves over time. Keep reading and find out how!
What is a smart irrigation system?
Smart irrigation systems use the latest technology to…
- Monitor weather and soil conditions through real-time updates.
- Check on water evaporation and plant water use.
- Automatically adjust the watering schedule based on the actual conditions of your landscape — a sharp contrast to the traditional style of irrigation controller, which was a basic, time-based program that ran on a schedule.
While these controllers can “think” for themselves, you can also control them through a phone app, tablet app, or through a website. At Plants Creative, all of the smart controllers we install all require a WiFi connection. Some can even integrate with your existing smart home system!
What are the benefits of smart irrigation?
- Use less water! — By adjusting water use based on your local weather conditions and soil moisture, your controller optimizes the amount of water it’s dispersing. And because it’s constantly gathering real-time data on how much water it’s using, it “knows” the right amount of water to apply at the right time of day. This means no more wasted water!
- Find out how much water you’re using (and saving!) — Your controller’s app gives you access to all sorts of helpful data at the click of a mouse or tap of a finger. Most apps come with a reporting feature that compiles the data for you, so you can find out how much water is actually being used — and how much you’re saving. Most homeowners find they save up to 50% more water than a conventional system. With our Hydrate Smart Irrigation systems, you can choose from three different service packages where we look after the data and summarize it for you!
- Stop issues before they become problems. — Whether it’s defective pipes, faulty valve wires, or a broken sprinkler head, your system sends you — or your irrigation technician — an alert. Think of it like a guard dog that protects you and your home by working for you 24/7. Once you know the problem, you can act quickly to prevent costly landscape damage.
- Get reports and alerts no matter where you are. — With smart irrigation, your landscape can be watered from anywhere in the world. One controller that we install has a “flow meter” that monitors the flow of water through the system. Say you’re out of town and a major leak happens — the meter would send you a warning. The other benefit here is that if you’ve hired an irrigation company to maintain your system for you, they’ll get the alerts too! In both cases, the system can be shut off remotely, either through your smartphone or a computer.
Outside of these four big benefits, there’s an extra one we really love — these systems use our water more sustainably, which is better for our environment! Not only are you saving money by upgrading — but you’re also helping the plants and animals that call Georgia home.
Want some help?
If you’re ready to start saving water — and saving money at the same time — check out our smart irrigation packages offered through Hydrate Smart Irrigation.
Installing a new system is simple. Choose a package, schedule your installation, and let us do the rest!